Friday, May 4, 2012

Oilers and the 2012 NHL Entry Draft



Each year the Oilers amateur scouting staff work hard putting together their best collection of top prospects for the Edmonton Oilers organization. With Stu leading the charge few Oiler fans are too worried about the picks they choose in the end. I am sure all fans will tell you the same, while they have their own thought process, in the end 'In Stu, we trust'.

With the release of the combine, some eligible players finished for the year and some still playing in the playoffs, I thought what better time then to touch base on some players who the Oilers may be seriously considering for their organization. Based on informed information, rumours among the MSM, personal observation and tidbits I am reading into from Lowe, Tamby and Stu, I have compiled a small list of those who I believe they would like to pick in this year's NHL Entry Draft.

I have listed the players as I see the Oilers preferring to pick from top to bottom. Of course past the first 3 rounds, it will be unlikely any are left. Next posting , I will examine more closely the players and why I believe it is possible, should they be available when the Oilers step up to the podium, they will select these specific players mentioned in my posting.

NOTE: There are some players the Oilers could take that I do not have mentioned should they fall in the draft. Example: Forsberg fall to 12th Overall? Maybe they would attempt a trade to move up. Essentially I am saying should any player #2-6 fall in the draft selection they would potentially try to make a move on them should they be available. #7 on I believe they would take in the order of availability. Bottom line with my list is that, when they go to select, should that player be gone next on their list, I believe they will move to the next one

I plan to repost this blog after draft time and see where and who the Oilers did end up taking in the end.

OILERS POTENTIAL LIST FOR THE 2012 NHL ENTRY DRAFT:

1) Nail Yakupov
2) Alex Galchenyuk
3) Ryan Murray
4) Morgan Rielly
5) Mikhail Grigorenko
6) Griffin Reinhart
7) Jacob Trouba
8) Radek Faksa
9) Olli Maatta
10) Brendan Gaunce
11) Zemgus Girgensons
12) Tom Wilson
13) Derrick Pouliot
14) Henrik Samuelsson
15) Slater Koekkoek

Of course there will be others past these 15 but it is possible that we could see the Oilers walk away from the first 2 rounds with any combination of (Yakupov/Wilson , Yakupov/Faksa , Yakupov/Samuelsson , Yakupov/Gaunce , Yakupov/Maatta , Yakupov/Girgensons). You could substitute either Galchenyuk or Murray into Yakupov's place if someone did step up to the plate and offer a incredible trade option. You will notice, I believe the Oilers 2nd selection will either be a Power forward who can score in the top 6 or a big Centermen to play behind RNH. Maatta and Pouliot are the only 2 defencemen I see as maybe available at 31 spot, even then it is doubtful.

For Oiler ,Baron and Thunder news and the 2012 or 2013 NHL draft watch go to www.twitter.com/revingev


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it nice, keep it civil. GOILERS!


Two Guys & Hockey Talk NHL News (CLICK PIC FOR LINK)

The Faithful Followers

Oilers Jambalaya is in no way, shape or form associated with the Edmonton Oilers or the Bakersfield Condors. This is a fans blog for fans. We happen to love those teams, so we write about them.